Monday, December 20, 2010

Winona Ryder Opens Up To GQ

 Winona Ryder Opens Up To GQ

I’m so glad Winona Ryder is back to making movies! I’ve missed her. She stars in the movie ‘Black Swan’ (along with Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis) as an aging ballerina who’s being pushed aside in favor of the younger dancers.

GQ writer Alex Pappademas thought the role was great for her.
“It’s the best role Ryder has had in years, but you could imagine some actresses having second thoughts about steering straight into that subtext,” writes Pappademas.
As it happens, Ryder, 39, did not. “I thought it was a cool parallel,” she says. “Being replaced by the young thing. I know that definitely happens in Hollywood. It’s harder to find good roles, and suddenly there’s new girls. I’m at that age I’ve been warned my whole life about.”


Winona also shared an interesting encounter with Mel Gibson.
“I remember, like, fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And [Mel] was really drunk. I was with my friend, who’s gay. He made a really horrible gay joke. And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about ‘oven dodgers,’ but I didn’t get it. I’d never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment. I was like, ‘He’s anti-Semitic and he’s homophobic.’ No one believed me!”
I bet people believe her now! Apparently Winona declined to talk about the shoplifting incident, saying it’s something “she tries not to talk about.” You can read the entire interview here.

Main picture: Mark Abrahams/GQ
Thumbnails: FAME

No comments:

Post a Comment